Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Vanilla Bourbon Peach Jam {Low Sugar, No Pectin Recipe}


I've been  up to my elbows in peaches lately, but I'm not complaining. They are one of my most favorite things of summer.  I usually make freezer jam, but my freezer is full of ... peaches.  Go figure.  Although I do prefer freezer jam most of the time, peaches are one fruit that make good cooked jam.

I actually decided to make this jam to go with some ice cream I'd planned on making as well.  I chose to do it old-school with no pectin because every time I go to make jam it seems I'm always out!  I also wanted to control the amount of sugar, so this method worked out perfectly.

I love the addition of cinnamon and bourbon vanilla in this jam; it spices it up just a bit.  If you can't find real bourbon vanilla, you can substitute regular vanilla extract or even the real thing!

Vanilla Bourbon Peach Jam
makes about 3 half-pint jars

2 lbs peaches, peeled and pitted
juice of a small lemon
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. real bourbon vanilla extract (or you can use real bourbon)

Place peaches into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.  If you like chunks in your jam, you can puree it a little less.

Add peaches to a heavy saucepan along with lemon juice and sugar.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat.  Continue boiling until candy thermometer reaches 220 degrees F, stirring frequently (this may take up to an hour or so).  Be careful when stirring and scraping off the bottom, mixture will bubble and pop.

When mixture reaches desired temperature, remove from heat and give it a good stir.  Add in the cinnamon and vanilla and stir to combine.  Taste and add more flavoring as desired.

Ladle into half pint canning jars and secure lids.  Cool on counter then keep either in fridge or freezer.  If you want to can the jars in a water bath canner, follow instructions for your particular canner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...